Perfecto is First to Fully Support Automated Continuous Testing of PWA
Perfecto’s offerings are architected to extend open source test automation frameworks
BOSTON, June 12, 2018 — As brands strive to deliver more engaging digital experiences, Progressive Web Apps (PWA) are gaining momentum. Perfecto, the leading continuous testing and monitoring platform for optimizing DevOps pipelines, is the first cloud-based testing platform provider to support automated testing of PWAs. Perfecto supports early PWA adopters who are testing PWAs across desktop and mobile platforms.
Early reports demonstrate PWAs improve user experience, grow engagement and increase conversions. PWAs offer users the ability to use sites while offline, receive push notifications and access platform features like cameras, microphone, speakers, data storage, and GPS. These capabilities are propelling PWA adoption and enriching website experiences with capabilities previously only available with hybrid and native mobile apps.
PWA adoption is expected to increase. In a recent survey conducted by Perfecto, 41 percent of respondents plan to add PWA capability to their sites already following responsive web design (RWD) over the next 12 months with an additional 32 percent actively researching the shift. Organizations across all industries are recognizing PWA benefits. One major e-commerce site reported a 76 percent increase in mobile web conversions with 14 percent more active monthly users on iOS and 30 percent more on Android. A leading business magazine publisher redesigned their mobile experience as a PWA, resulting in a 43 percent increase in sessions per user.
“PWA is one of the latest web development market innovations being embraced today after responsive web design to enhance user experience,” said Roi Carmel, chief strategy officer at Perfecto. “Our Automation Coverage Extension capabilities provide us the architectural advantage to provide DevOps teams with what they need to automate PWA testing to deliver flawless user experiences.”
Automating PWA testing requires support for unique PWA use cases. Perfecto supports the following PWA use cases. Collectively, they help teams implement continuous testing and achieve velocity objectives.
- Launching PWAs – The ability to launch PWAs from device home screens benefits users and creates a new challenge for test automation. Perfecto is introducing a new capability to launch progressive sites in parallel on desktop and mobile platforms.
- Test authoring & execution – As a hybrid technology, PWAs require the ability to interact with different types of user interface objects. Perfecto’s Object Spy provides test automation developers a single view of all objects in application under test. As a result, identifying and interacting with both web and native iOS and Android objects in a single flow is fully supported. This overcomes Selenium and Appium limitations of inspecting PWA document object model (DOM).
- Test audio, camera, and location-based scenarios – PWAs introduce the rich engagement capabilities of mobile devices to websites. Perfecto supports automated testing of user flows requiring audio, image and location-based inputs. Automated testing can also handle push notifications.
- User condition test scenarios – The PWA benefits of increased conversions are in part driven by websites now becoming accessible while users are offline leveraging service workers. Perfecto’s Wind Tunnel™ capability enables testing network disconnections and measuring object rendering times.
- One test, one report – Perfecto supports executing PWA tests in the cloud, on desktop and mobile platforms in parallel. PWA tests executed across Android, iOS, Windows and MAC OS generate one combined test report.
To learn more about Perfecto’s support of PWA, visit this link.
Perfecto's Continuous Quality Lab enables DevOps teams to accelerate development, achieve continuous testing and monitoring, and drive fast feedback through actionable analytics for web, mobile, and IoT apps. More than 3,000 customers rely on Perfecto’s cloud-based Continuous Quality Lab as their digital app test environment and for authoring test automation executed on real browsers, smartphones, and devices under real end-user conditions. For more information about Perfecto, visit perfecto.io, join our community, or follow us on Twitter at @PerfectoMobile.