What to Expect in the Latest Version of Selenium
Selenium, the leading web framework for automation, releases frequently. Here, we take a look at Selenium releases, from a few years back all the way to Selenium’s latest version. And we reveal what’s to come in Selenium 4.
Selenium Latest Version
The latest version of Selenium is Selenium 4.0.0 Alpha 5, released in March of 2020.
Selenium 4 Release Date
The Selenium 4 release date has already come and passed. Originally planned for late 2018, the release date has since been pushed back, just like with Selenium 3.
However, the Selenium 4 Alpha was released in April of 2019. As of the time of publishing, we still don’t know the Selenium 4 release date. But we are anxiously awaiting it, and some of the new features it will usher in.
New Selenium 4 Features
Selenium is the de facto web app test automation framework, though there are definitely Selenium alternatives for your consideration. Selenium is comprised of Selenium IDE, Selenium WebDriver, and Selenium Grid. And Selenium 4 offers changes to all of these components.
To start, Selenium 4 offers new standardization. For users, this latest version of Selenium will allow for a more seamless experience. In the past, most Selenium commands did not work across browsers. Now, you will no longer need to modify code to work with different browsers.
Selenium Webdriver will be completely W3C standardized. Since Chrome, Safari, Firefox, Internet Explorer, and Edge will also follow W3C standardization, this means that everything will run in W3C standard protocol.
Selenium IDE can now be used on any browser, not just Chrome. You can use your own locator strategy while easily plugging into the Selenium IDE. The new Selenium IDE runner will be based on WebDriver. The command line runner will be based off NodeJS rather than HTML.
The command line runner will also now provide information such as the number of pass/fails and the test timing.
Other Updates in Selenium 4
- Improvements to request tracing and logging with hooks for better debugging.
- Updated documentation, which hasn’t been touched since Selenium 2.0.
- Selenium Grid UI improvements, with no need to set up hubs and nodes separately as the grid serves the purpose of both.
- Capabilities are transitioning from Legacy/JSON Wire Protocol to WebDriver protocol.
- Chromedriver and EdgeDriver are inherited from ChromiumDriver, which offers predefined access to dev tools for performance measurement.
- You can work on two different windows at the same time.
- Get locators relative to any other locator, such as toLeftOf() or above().
- Selenium 4 will end support for Opera and headless testing with Phantom.
Looking Back on Selenium Releases
Here’s a look at the monumental Selenium releases through the years:
2004: Selenium is launched.
2007: Selenium IDE and Selenium WebDriver launched.
2011: Selenium 2 is introduced.
2016: Selenium 3 debuts.
2019: Selenium 4 Alpha is released.
Below, we break down some of the recent Selenium releases, starting from the Selenium latest version and working back, and their key features.
|Selenium Version||Release Date||Key Features|
(Selenium Latest Version)
|Selenium 4.0 Alpha 4||January 2020|
|Selenium 4.0 Alpha 3|
|Selenium 4.0 Alpha 2||May 2019|
|Selenium 4.0 Alpha 1||May 2019|
Perfecto Makes Selenium Better
Perfecto fully embraces open source technology, including Selenium. In fact, it’s one of the top frameworks we support. View all integrations>>
With Perfecto, you can test on everything from the Selenium latest version with any browser version, new or old. Selenium and Perfecto seamlessly integrate for testing on web and mobile web. Perfecto supports the latest version of Selenium, too.
With Perfecto and Selenium, you can:
- Execute web testing 50% faster than other vendors.
- Enjoy the scalability of Selenium Grid from the cloud.
- Scale your tests across multiple platforms.
- Find and fix bugs quickly with advanced test reporting and debugging.
- Integrate into your entire CI/CD toolchain.
Experience the world’s largest global testing cloud for web and mobile apps. Try Perfecto free for 14 days.